Dr. Andrew Lerman, MD is a board-certified neurologist providing expert care for patients suffering from seizure, neurophysiological and neurological disorders in the Miami community.
Combining an academic, research-based philosophy with compassionate care, Dr. Lerman’s comprehensive approach addresses the needs of his patients and families. Guided by the principles of access, availability, trust and reliability, it is his belief that not only does a personalized approach ensure a positive relationship with his patients, it also has an important impact on the neurological course and outcome of the patients he cares for.
Cutting-edge diagnostics and interventions play an important role at Dr. Lerman’s practice, reflecting the continued research, growing knowledge and innovative forms of treatment in the fields of epileptology, neurophysiology and neurology. In addition to offering the latest diagnostics and treatments, ranging from EEG and Botox, treadmill testing to concussion and medical cannabis for epilepsy, Dr. Lerman continues to dedicate time to research and will be carrying out studies on the use of technology in seizure detection, using smart watches in monitoring. Previous investigative work includes brain research and bench research in gene testing at McGill University; working with patients participating in cannabidiol programs at New York University’s Langone Medical Center; and stroke prevention and gene therapy at Centre for Brain Health, Vancouver.
- Neurophysiology Fellowship focusing on Epilepsy at New York University Elaine A. and Kenneth G. Langone Medical Center
- Neurology residency at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Internal medicine internship at University of Miami
- Medical School at St. Matthew's University with rotations in London and New York
- Bachelor of Science in Physiology at McGill University
It was while completing his residency at University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital that Dr. Lerman’s developed an interest in epilepsy, neurophysiology and neurology. Drawn to the fields that are by nature complex, he was fascinated by the continued progress in diagnosis and treatment and attracted by the fact that such disorders require a comprehensive approach in treating disorders, one that incorporates counseling and addresses care. It was this that brought him to open two practices in Miami, where he can serve the needs of the local community.
Dr. Lerman treats epilepsy and neurophysiological and neurological disorders, such as headaches, concussion, stroke, movement disorders, memory disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis and traumatic brain injury.
- Homestead Hospital - www.baptisthealth.net
- Doctors Hospital at Baptist Health South Florida - www.baptisthealth.net/en/facilities/doctors-hospital
- Epilepsy Center at Baptist Health - https://baptisthealth.net/en/health-services/neuro/pages/epilepsy-program.aspx
- Coral Gables Hospital - www.coralgableshospital.com
- Mercy Hospital - www.mercymiami.com
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Academy of Neurology
- Epilepsy Foundation of Florida - Operations Committee
- Baptist Health South Florida Epilepsy Program - Technical Board
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board-eligible for Neurophysiology and Epileptology
View Accepted Insurances plans
Welcome to Our Practice
At both Miami practices, Dr. Lerman takes a multi-faceted, hands-on approach, combining cutting-edge diagnostics and interventions with personalized, comprehensive care to make patients feel at home. As a patient-focused practice, he aims to offer maximum comfort to patients and their families.
Our goal is to provide the best possible course of treatment for each individual case.
Dr. Lerman provides diagnosis and treatment at his robust, primary practice in the heart of Coral Gables and at his office at University of Miami’s flagship hospital, supported by a team of board-certified technicians, therapists and a network of professionals throughout the fields of epilepsy, neurophysiology and neurology. Through the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida, Dr. Lerman provides patients in need with care.
Patients have access to in-house diagnostics and treatment including MRI imaging, electroencephalogram (EEG) and long-term monitoring for EEG studies, video EEG monitoring, electromyography (EMG), nerve conduction studies, ultrasound, treadmill testing, seizure monitoring, evoked potentials, peripheral nerve blocks, and Botox® chemodenervation.
At partner hospitals, Dr. Lerman also provides long term video electroencephalography for diagnosis of various neurological disorders including epilepsy and non-epileptic seizure disorders, as well as pre-surgical work up for candidates of epilepsy surgery.
Through the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida, Dr. Lerman also provides care to patients in need.